The 10 steps to go from having no domain to a BuddyPress MultiSite installation:
Presentation Slides: [download id=”2″]
- Register (or choose) a domain; and, choose a web host if needed.
- Start downloading WordPress 3.0 or greater.
- Enable “Wildcard DNS“.
- Create a database and assign a user for your WordPress installation.
- Upload WordPress.
- Start the WordPress installation.
- Read this page thoroughly: http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network!
define ('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true);to wp-config.php
- Go to your Dashboard (or refresh the page).
- Under Tools | Network (now available from above step)
- Choose your settings; click install.
- Follow the directions on the page to modify wp-config.php and .htaccess
- Install the BuddyPress plugin; activate it; and, choose a BuddyPress friendly theme.
NB: These steps are based on my experiences using HostGator Web Services, other web hosting services may vary in their requirements.